Christmas Decorations

Things were so busy leading up to Christmas that I almost didn't even care about getting out the Christmas decorations this year. But since this was our first Christmas married and his family would be staying with us before we headed out to Breckenridge, I wanted the house to decorated. This year I changed up the way I decorated the house and really enjoyed the set up.

A few years ago, I decided that I wanted our tree to be only airplanes, so I have been collecting every airplane ornament in sight. I think we have nearly all of the ones from Hobby Lobby and we finally have enough to fill up the tree (except for the small portion that is against the wall). So I think starting next year, I am going to buy only one airplane ornament each year in addition to an ornament that represents us. This year our representation ornament was our first Christmas. I ordered a beautiful flat 2.5" Nickle Ornament hand-stamped with "Our First Christmas 2011." I just loved the simplicity of it. In addition each of our mom's bought us an ornament, his mom gave us a picture holder ornament with the year hanging below it (which I haven't added a picture to it, since I still have not printed off any wedding photos) and my mom gave us a ceramic bride and groom leaving in a car with the words "Just Married" on the back.

I have collected quite a few ornaments from gift exchanges and gifts from work since I moved to Denver. As I mentioned above, I only want to have airplane ornaments hanging on our Christmas tree, so this year I hung the garland over the french doors in our living room that lead to the study and then hung all of my other ornaments from it. I really enjoyed as it spread out all of the Christmas decorations, which normally only reside around the fireplace. Though, next year I am going to have to get more garland and find another place to hang it, as I won't have anywhere to hang any new ornaments.

Even though each year we receive a stack of Christmas cards, I normally just pile them in a stack after I open them and hang the picture ones on our fridge. This year I hung ribbon across the fireplace below the mantle and as we received Christmas cards, I hung them with clips on the ribbon. Brandon was very skeptical of how this would look since he didn't think we got that many cards each year. But our ribbon was full and I actually ran out of space/clips so I had to double up and in the end he was very pleased with it.

Usually our mantle is packed with the few Christmas items that I do have, but this year I wanted it to have a nice clean look. We had picked up a few items after Christmas last year and then had a few items from the wedding, so I moved some items away from the mantle and found new homes for them.

While I was hesitant to pull out the Christmas decorations this year, I am really glad that I did. The house had a very homey feel and pulled me into the holiday spirit. So now it is time to take down all these decorations and put them away until next year.

Click on photo to view album

No comments: